Star Care Lodge is supported by trained and experienced Care Support Workers, backed up where appropriate by our flexible staff team. At least two staff are on duty throughout the day and one member of staff each night, with sleep-in staff available should the need arise. Staffing levels are continually monitored and adapted to ensure that service user needs are met. The aim of all staff is to assist each service user to lead as independent a life as possible.
The home is run by an experienced manager, a team of qualified registered mental health nurses and care support workers. All our staff are regularly assessed, encouraging them to continue with their professional development through regular in-house training, as well as the use of external training providers, to ensure that their skills and working practices are up to date.
- We recruit and retain the most highly qualified and experienced staff for the job and our selection procedure is therefore very rigorous.
- We verify all potential candidates' documents and further checks are made with the UKBA where necessary.
- All our candidates have been checked for qualifications, references, DBS and fitness to work.
- All our staff complete the 10 mandatory training topics, as well as induction according to Common Induction Standards (CIS);
- Our care support workers have either achieved or are registered for level 2 or 3 in health and social care QCF.
We also offer the following specialist training to our staff:
- Understanding self harm
- Challenging behaviour
- Mental health issues and legislations
- Working with adult survivors of sexual abuse
- Dual diagnosis
- Stress management
- Deprivation of liberty (D.O.L.S)
- Mental Capacity Act
- Understanding of Good Care Guide
- Basic knowledge of the Care Programme Approach (CPA)
- Listening skills